Friday, February 18, 2011

Down on One Knee

Earlier today I met some more extended relatives of my host family. Most of them live in the same neighborhood and stop by the house pretty frequently. Basically when I meet someone we shake hands, they repeat something they have heard about America and then we laugh as I try to explain whether or not it is true. So I didn’t really think anything of it when I was introduced to yet another cousin.

Later on I was chatting with my homestay sister who is sixteen. She is really interested in poetry and let me read some of her poems which are mostly about a particular boy that she is in love with. Anyways, she asked me a lot of questions about my life in America but especially about whether or not I am married, engaged, or dating. When I told her I was single she immediately left the room. About two minutes later she comes back and sits down across from me with a confuzzled look on her face. She hesitates and wonders out loud “How do I explain this?” (At this point I’m really intrigued.) Then she finally blurts out the following…

“My cousin (the one I had met maybe 20 minutes earlier) is absolutely in love with you. He asked me to tell you that from the moment he saw you, he thinks you are so beautiful and he wants you to stay in Cameroon with him. He does not want to be your boyfriend, he wants to be your husband.”

Although cat-calls are common on the street, this was my first legitimate proposal and it was both flattering and slightly horrifying. I was suddenly having flashbacks to lectures during orientation about “verbal consent to marriage” and wondering what exactly I had said to him earlier that evening. In my most well thought-out French I carefully explained that it is against the rules of SIT for me to have a relationship during the program and that if I break that rule I will be sent back to America. (Which may not be 100% true, but this guy is not just a random person on the street, he’s someone who I will probably see every day and I wanted to get things cleared up ASAP.)

Anyways, that particular moment is one of my most treasured memories so far this semester and it’s always good to have a back-up plan in case I find myself single at 40…I know I’ve got a spot in Dschang.

4 comments:

  1. Well if you tie the knot before Jett leaves He could be ring bearer! Nothing like a dog with a pillow attached to his collar to make people say AWWWWWWW. GREAT STORY.....be careful with your casual French honey. Hope you are feeling better. Becca is now sick too. Love you MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized only 8 groups of 10 left!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally got engaged when I was living in Kenya by returning a spear to a Maasai guy one too many times! Oops. Fortunately I would have been his 3rd wife and my friend Moses told me he wasn't offering my dad enough cows...so I got out of it! ;) Loving your adventures Rachel. I'm sure that won't be the last proposal! :) C'est la vie, parce tu est belle et Américain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, your first proposal; congratulations. Oh, so funny!

    ReplyDelete