Saturday, February 5, 2011

Clean Feet

Earlier today I was doing the flamingo in the bathroom; meaning that I was unsteadily perched on one leg as the other danced in between the water and my nailbrush, trying desperately to get rid of the dust which clings to my feet every day after walking to and from school. Personally, I don’t know if I had ever really washed my feet before coming to Cameroon. Sure I’ve wiped my shoes on a welcome mat, but that was more of a courtesy than a necessity. Here having dirty feet is like wearing stained clothes or skipping deodorant – a big fat no no.

Anyways, in the midst of my most recent foot scrubbing I was struck by the thought that this is exactly what Jesus and his disciples did. How mind blowing that the same God who can create something from nothing, could also identify with my struggle to get the dang dirt out from between my toes. Having that particular thought at that particular moment gave me a much deeper appreciation for all the passages in the Bible that talk about feet washing.

Having loved his own who were in the world, He now showed them the full extent of his love…He got up from the table, poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet. John 13:1-5 (emphasis mine)

It might sound like nothing, but I think what made it so profound is that I don’t usually encounter things in my daily life that are so reminiscent of the days when Christ walked on earth. I don’t automatically think about God when I pick up my cell phone or check my email, but I during my daily (or twice daily) foot cleansing He is always on my mind. Instead of a chore, washing my feet has become more like a quiet time built right into my day.


4 comments:

  1. it is indeed a humble moment when you see the Creator of all willing to wash dirty feet. I can't see even a pro football player, a morning show personality, even a co-worker jumping up to do that as willingly as the Lord did. We serve a Great God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflective time will be a gift to you this semester. Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I love it! The picture of Jesus washing his feet thousands of years ago in Galilee or Nazareth and then of you doing the "flamingo" in Cameroon, washing your own feet, is really touching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so awesome to see you via skype today. I love you peanut, continue to soak it all in. The Lord has great things in store for you.

    ReplyDelete